SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT AWARD
Commitment to sustainable development should be considered as essential for all involved in the future of the railway, including infrastructure developers and contractors. To be considered sustainable, a business must look beyond its immediate needs and act in a way that protects the needs of both the business and future generations.
The winning entry will show a real understanding of sustainable development values and principles, together with passion and creativity that make a difference to people, communities, the economy and business results. It will demonstrate how sustainable development values are being embedded in the business – through strategies or projects – and the business and societal benefits that are being achieved.
Who should enter?
Entries may relate to any aspect of business operations: people management, skill enhancement or wellbeing, promotion of equality and diversity, community and social inclusion, stimulating the local economy, supplier relationships including with SMEs, or making more efficient use of resources in the widest sense They may be submitted by team members, team leaders, managers, customers or suppliers.
The judges will need clarity about what has changed, who and what the change affects and how it has been put into practice. They will consider in particular:
- How any change and/or new values are being integrated into business practices and approaches, and the difference made to the way the organisation does business
- The results being achieved and how they benefit the business, enhance the skills, wellbeing and diversity of its people and deliver improved economic, social and environmental outcomes for the wider community
- Whether there is more efficient use of resources, improved service and a contribution to improving the well-being and prosperity and health of people and communities served
- Evidence of business and community buy-in
- Whether the approach is transferable and contributes to long-term sustainability in the railway industry
Enter an Award
Back Award criteria